Sunday, September 6, 2009

Skype Session

I was part of both Skype sessions and I had a very different experience in each. In the 11am session there were only four people (I think) and I only had direct communication with Ken. Two others were there but we couldn't quite get to talk. The communication I had with Ken was clear and useful. We were able to try various configurations and reconnect we we need to. It seemed a very good way to communicate, particularly if it was a 1 to 1 interaction or close. Good for teaching and learning and customer support. The 8pm experience was as frustrating as the 11am one was illuminating. Having about 12 people on at the same time forced the situation where only one person (the one with the microphone) could be heard. Unfortunately, by the time we engineered this scenario, the drop out situation for me became unbearable. I can't believe I spent 40 minutes desperately trying to make sense of a conversation of which I could only hear one in three syllables. The agenda topics were really good, but I'll have to look through the logs to find out what was said. In the past, I have done conference calls on the phone as they seemed to be much easier to do - even with the same number of people as we had. Perhaps the fact that there were 12 people spread all over the place rather than 2 groups of six (in the same room) meant that moderation became infinitely more difficult. My overall view is that Skype is great for reducing your phone bill and talking with no more than two other people (who are not in the same place). There needs to be more overt functionality to alert people on when to listen and when to speak. This is where 'chat rooms' beat Skype hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment