Tuesday, September 8, 2009

4.3.3 Do you have a personal learning network? Look at the potential and challenges of each new site as platforms for learning and inclusion in a PLN


Michelle Bourgeois looks to have got it right. Now I don't have a personal learning network as sophisticated as hers but I can now see that I could and should create one. There are many that I would use. Out of the list I would choose, Youtube, Blogger, Bubbl.us, Linkedin and Teacher Tube would be at the top end.


Those of less use to me would be Twitter, Facebook and Bebo. This is not because I don't believe in frivolous social networking, its just I don't have the time. I spend so much time looking at a computer screen, that I prefer to interact with the real world of earth, air, fire and water in my spare time.


I love the way Michelle has used the best features of each platform and has linked some of them so that followers can see her in another way on another site.


So far, the main PLN in my studies is the one associated with this course. I'm really pleased the way it has developed and that via the links, I don't really need to communicate directly with many people to be aware of what happening in the course.


The challenges in building a PLN operate on several levels. On one level is the technology that has to be mastered in order to get the best out of the software. Then there's finding the time to be a useful and active network member so that you can influence and be influenced by the discourse going on in each of your sites and places of interest.


If you can meet these challenges, the potential for learning and expanding your networks is enormous. Some of the benefits are increased professional competence, access to important information and teaching materials, access to professional opportunities and the chance of increasing your personal and professional support base beyond your immediate real world workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment