Thursday, September 3, 2009

Exercise 3.1: The Battle for Wesnoth

My Lords and Ladies (and MAC users)......
I interacted with Wesnoth and found some good things and some bad things. The good things were that I liked the sound track and became mildly more informed about the history and sociology of Wesnoth. I don't know whether Wesnoth really existed or is an amalgam of myth, fantasy and fact. If its purpose is to inform users about how Wesnoth really is (or was) then what I saw in the game did not convince me. If it was fantasy, then it certainly was not MY idea of fantasy. If it was myth, then let's know about where the myths came from and who the actual personalities were. If its purpose was to help me use my computer keyboard in new ways, then it probably succeeded. Asking a MAC user to left click to get anything done at Wesnoth was not only tedious, it treated MAC users like second class villagers (or whatever the serfs are called in Wesnoth). I confess (humbly) that I am certainly not a 'gamer' and the thought of becoming seriously entrenched in anything other than the 'real' world leaves me cold (and probably alone). I had similar prejudices about Facebook, Skype and Second Life. However, after engaging with them with about as much time and energy as Wesnoth, I have changed my mind about all of them. Sadly, Wesnoth has not moved me in the same way. At least with Facebook, Skype there is a demonstrable connection to the 'real world'. Even Second Life has more in common with the 'real' world than Wesnoth.
Despite my negativity, I can see the value of games such as Wesnoth in education - but with one proviso:If the game is a true simulation, then it must be historically accurate as much as current knowledge permits. If it does not claim to be historically accurate, then it is entertainment. If the development of games such as Wesnoth is a way of teaching students how to design, program and develop game strategy within the realm of entertainment education then I'm all for it.
Onwards! The Barbarians await us.

No comments:

Post a Comment