Monday, September 7, 2009

Exercise 4.1 Blog or Wiki design

Blogging is still a new thing for me. In terms of design, its important to understand that a blog will probably be only only one part of your Personal Learning Resource.
According to Wikipedia:A blog is (a contraction of the term "weblog")[1] is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.
It is only recently that I’ve been able to connect my blog to others by including others sites to follow in my blog. I wanted others to comment on my posts but so far only one person has. According to my blog most people want to lurk but not comment.
I have tried to comment on some sites but have been frustrated by the security procedures to get the post accepted. The best outcome is being able to see the progress of others posts and to confirm that my own work is of a similar quality and stage of development.
The development of the blog has come from me trying to enable every function I can with the blog software and by looking at other blogs to see what others are doing. Some seem to have features I do not have – perhaps they are using different software.
Despite this, I am reasonably happy with my blog. I’ve been able to use images, change the look and feel of the text and to monitor other blogs. Recently I’ve looked into the tracking features to identify user behaviour but I don’t have enough data to make any observations.
In terms of the Kims underlying principles:
Design for growth and change. The design allows for growth (being able to add and edit posts) and change (management and addition of content).
Create and maintain community feedback. Community feedback is technically possible (despite frustrating security procedures) but you can’t force people to give feedback. If nobody cares, nobody comments.
Allow your members to gradually take more control. This can only occur if people want to interact. You can’t make this happen unless you write for your audience – not for yourself. My blog so far is written for myself. I have not tried to promote the blog using internet means (bulletin board seeding, metatagging etc). Maybe I’d get more reaction if I tried this.

No comments:

Post a Comment