Friday, August 7, 2009

What do I want to achieve from this unit?

Begin your journey by describing what you know/don't know about social networking, online communities and what you want to achieve in this subject.

I don't know too much about digital communities but I think I know lots about real world ones. I work as a teacher and I play as an active musician and energetic member of my local community. I know the technology is one half of the online communities equation so I hope that this subject will give me more capability and capacity in this component. Compelling me to engage with the technology will force me to interact with the technology and the people who are at the other end of the line. I owned my first computer in 1983 and I worked in the IT industry (Internet) 1994-2003 so I'm not afraid of or inexperienced in ICT. Learning new hard and software is something that I enjoy.

So far though, I still think that what holds all communities together is the same: mutual interest, necessity, friendship. It does not matter if they are online or not, if these basics are not part of the relationship that binds a community together, then it will not survive.

Will a study into online communities and social networks change your professional practice?

It already has. I have a whole lot of new friends and resources and I've reconnected with some that I haven't spoken to for years. I've become more experienced with the role that online communities play in the promotion and distribution of music and I have discovered more networks that create and distribute curriculum materials. I look forward to increasing the impact that this knowledge has in my work and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment