Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Exercise 8.2 The avalanche of applications self-interview

Has the increased use of social networking tools lessened or increased my communication with people?
My wife tells me that I now spend less time with her than before social network tools became a part of my life but I disagree. I was very aware of this potential relationship buster so I monitored the new situation closely. When she's not home, I spend most of my time online. When she's there, I try to live 'offline' as much as possible. Before we got broadband (only recently) I set up pay television at home to entertain her while I was online. Now she watches more television than ever (because she says she has greater choice) and I watch far less (because I don't enjoy a lot of what she watches). Instead of getting online when she watches TV, I tend to do chores, CSU and school work and practise my music.
What changes have I noticed in my self due to increased exposure to social networking tools?
When I created my Facebook page, I immediately started reconnecting with old friends who also had pages. In some cases this was very liberating. I didn't have to explain why I had not called them in 10 years - I just opened up with 'I saw your name on Facebook'. Without exception they were thrilled to hear from me again and I even subsequently met several of them 'in the real world'. In other cases, after an initial communication, I became irritated with their cybernetic meanderings: mindless polls, boring videos, meaningless links and photos of their partners and pets. It was a strange sensation when I 'removed' them from my friends list. I felt guilty about it - but life's too short to spend precious time sifting through the waffle to find something even mildly amusing.
How useful have social network tools been to my professional life?
So far, they have been useful in 2 ways.
1. Since I achieved some competency at Web 2.0 tools, my web research skills have improved enormously. Now I feel as 'in touch' with developments in my professional environment as I need to be. My lessons (particularly in ICT) are far more informed than they ever have been. I'm now really good at searching, archiving bookmarks and using blogs with tags and RSS feeds.
2. Being able to carry on very useful conversations with other members of my POD group using a plethora of asynchronous and synchronous services has convinced me of the value of these tools. Initially I was very skeptical because most of the time I see kids wasting their lives away with texts and chats. Now I realise its is not the technology that is vapid, its the information that passes through it that is. The same tools that can be used for mindless piffle can also be used to save a life or help 2 people develop a very useful relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment